Mother's Day Facts
You are here:
Holidays > Mother's Day > Mother's. Day Facts
Date of Mother's Day:
Enter Year to get the Date of Mother's Day in Any Year
Enter Year in Format: YYYY
How to Determine the Date of Mother's Day in any year:
Mother's Day is always the second Sunday in May.
Reason We Celebrate Mother's Day:
It is a day where we take some time to thank the person that brought us into this world and/or cared for us when we were young (and even when we are grownups).
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
History of Mother's Day(U.S):
- Julia Ward Howe is credited with suggesting the holiday (1872)
- Anna M. Jarvis (1864-1948) played a very significant role in getting the day officially declared as a holiday. She held the first Mother's Day in the U.S. was a church service held on May 10, 1908 at Anna's request to honor her mother.
- Mother's Day was officially declared as the second Sunday in May by Congress - May 8, 1914
- Almost all countries have some sort of Mother's Day Celebrations. Many countries celebrate on the same day as the United States.
- Mother's Day can be traced to ancient times. Spring festivals included tributes to Goddesses.
Traditional Celebrations of Mother's Day:
- A special meal prepared by the children or dining at a restaurant.
- Gathering of family members.
Traditional Gifts for Mother's Day:
- A specially selected greeting card
- Anything that "spoils" Mom
- Doing a special "chore" for Mom (i.e. painting the living room, yard work) Kids Can Print Out Coupons To Give to Mom
- Plant a flowering tree or shrub that blooms in the spring for future years