Family Website Safety Reminders
You are here:
Internet Family Fun Home > Internet Safety > Family Website Safety Reminders
Making a family Website is a lot of fun, but please remember these points as you create it! Unfortunately, a predator could locate you or your children if you give out too much information.
- Do not give out your last name.
- Do not give out your location or telephone number.
- If you include links to other pages (such as your church or school), they most likely will contain information about your town.
- Do not use your email address on your page, especially if it contains your last name or it from a small, local ISP (Internet Service Provider). (JSMITH@hometown.com) If you really want the ability for someone to contact you, consider a getting a generic email address. You can easily obtain one from Hotmail or use the one that is provided with your Web space. It would be best if an adult checks this email address for messages.
- If you have a small, local ISP (Internet Service Provider) and use their Webspace, a predator would be able to figure out your location easily, by looking up where the ISP is located. Consider using free Web space from About.com instead.
- Be careful of what pictures are posted. Study the backgrounds of the pictures, is there something on them that would give away your location? (Baseball team jerseys, Signs, etc)
Sharing can be fun, but sharing too much information can be dangerous. Please keep this in mind as you create a home on the Web.